Water Customer Assistance

New Grants Available! Pennsylvania is offering help to eligible homeowners. Get up to $10,000 for unpaid water bills. Learn more & apply

We use a single application for all water bill assistance programs, including the Senior Citizen Discount and the Tiered Assistance Program (TAP). If your income is too high for those programs, a Special Hardship can make you eligible for TAP. Customers in TAP can work toward Debt Forgiveness.

Payment agreements can also help make your bill more manageable.

Fill out one application, and we’ll let you know which program offers the lowest bill.

If you have experienced job loss or difficulty paying your bills as a result of COVID‑19, please apply for customer assistance.


You will need the following to apply. Do not send originals.

  • 1. Water Access Code (found on your bill)  
    ? example of water bill
    You will need the 9-digit number in the upper right of any recent water bill (click the question mark for the example)
  • 2. Two Proofs of Residency You will need TWO (2) different items from the bulleted list below.
    Example: Many customers submit an ID with current address and two utility bills.
    • Current government issued ID (like driver’s license or ID card) with current address.
    • Voter registration card.
    • Lease or TWO rent receipts from last six months.
    • The following must be dated within the last six months and show the address where you live:
      • TWO Utility bills (like WRB, PGW, PECO, cable, internet, or phone) from TWO different months.
      • TWO Mortgage statements.
      • TWO Student loan billing statements.
      • TWO bank statements.
    • Any of the Income Documentation types below, except for income support form
  • 3. Household Income Documentation For EACH source of income in the household, you will need ONE of the following, dated in the last 12 months. If you are reporting zero income, we will ask about how you pay for living expenses in Attachment B.
    • Prior year’s federal income tax return or W-2
    • Pay stubs
    • Benefit award letter or statement (such as unemployment compensation printout, workers’ compensation award, Social Security, pension, or welfare benefits)
    • Income support form (Attachment A)
  • 4. If you are applying with a Special Hardship claim, you’ll need to submit some form of hardship documentation:
    • Termination letter to prove job loss
    • Hospital admission or discharge documents to prove serious illness 
    • Birth or adoption certificate to show household size increase 
    • Death certificate to prove the death of main income earner 
    • Safe harbor documents to show shelter admission due to abuse
    • Copies of most recent bills, including utilities, medical, or childcare to show high household expenses or medical bills.