At the Water Department, we use your voice to inform our improvements.
Everything we do is funded by water bills— so we want to make sure we’re providing Philadelphians with the best possible services.
For the eighth consecutive year, we’re distributing our annual comprehensive customer survey – a project made possible with support from ImpactedEd at the University of Pennsylvania.
Every year, this survey helps us better understand Philadelphians’ opinions and experiences around topics such as our drinking water, stormwater, and wastewater services.
In addition to helping improve the Department’s services, taking the survey has an extra incentive: any Philadelphia resident (age 18 or older) who takes the survey can enter a raffle to win a $100 gift card!
Since launching in 2016, more than 30,000 survey responses have been recorded—with over 8,400 individual participants last year alone. The survey is weighted to compensate for sample designs and patterns of non-responses that might bias results.
“At the Philadelphia Water Department, we truly care about our work and we want to know what we’re doing right, and what we can do better,” says Philadelphia Water Department Commissioner Randy E. Hayman, Esq. “As a public utility aiming to keep water affordable while providing the best services possible, we need to hear from those we serve. Please take some time to share your thoughts, because your responses help us better serve you.”
What to know:
- Any Philadelphia resident 18 and older is eligible.
- The survey takes approximately 10 minutes to complete.
- The survey is available in Spanish.
- You cannot take the survey more than once.
- Answers and personal information will be kept completely confidential.
- No private information needs to be provided in order to complete the survey.
- Anyone who takes the survey can enter a raffle to win a $100 gift card!
Your Voice Shapes Our Work
Survey data has fostered a renewed dedication to ensuring Philadelphians that tap water is safe, clean, healthy, and the best water choice they can make.
Customer research into drinking water behavior has led to various outcomes, including providing inspiration for public engagement initiatives. In previous years, data from this survey has led to the Philly Water Bar, Drink Philly Tap (a pilot project with the University of Pennsylvania and other community partners), and the Drink More Tap creative campaign developed with Mural Arts Philadelphia.
Looking ahead, survey feedback will also be utilized to improve other ongoing initiatives, such as the Advanced Metering Infrastructure upgrade program.
Take the Survey Now!
Topics we evaluate include:
- General perceptions of the Philadelphia Water Department
- Drinking water habits and preferences
- Trust in Philly tap water
- Infrastructure awareness and understanding
- Your preferred way to get information
- Water quality issues
- Bill paying process
- What you value and want to see from us in the coming years
Remember: Answers and personal information will be kept entirely confidential. The University of Pennsylvania will analyze the data and prepare a report for PWD’s internal use.